Montalvo Arts Center and the Lucas Artists Residency Program Announces: 2014 CULINARY FELLOWSHIP SEARCHMontalvo Arts Center and the Lucas Artists Residency Program are currently accepting nominations and applications for the 2014 Culinary Fellowships. For 2014, Montalvo’s Lucas Artists Residency Program will host two selected Culinary Fellows for a six month Fellowship: March 3, 2014 – September 5, 2014; and September 1, 2014 to March 5, 2015. Deadline for applications is midnight January 8, 2014.
Montalvo’s Sally and Don Lucas Artists Residency Program is an international, multidisciplinary artist residency that has supported the culinary arts through working Fellowships since 2004. Located in Saratoga, California in the heart of Silicon Valley, the Lucas Artists Residency Program is a vibrant and significant hub for the creative process. As part of the culinary arts program, inspired by a Slow Food philosophy, the Culinary Fellowship supports the selected culinary artists in the exploration, development and expansion of their craft. This highly coveted Fellowship is awarded annually to a culinary artist or emerging chef with a strong interest in cooking, procuring local and sustainable foods, menu and recipe development, and community building. The program is designed to support the culinary artist in building their repertoire, managing a community kitchen and budgeting to support it. Opportunities are made available to participate in Montalvo’s Culinary Programs through educational outreach, workshops, conversations and other pubic programming that help to build awareness of the culinary arts. The Culinary Fellow also has access to the resident kitchen garden, to cultivate and manage with volunteers as they choose.
Responsibilities of the Culinary Fellow include:
- Plan and prepare of evening meals Monday-Thursday and Friday Lunch for the resident artists and invited guests. Typically these meals are between 10-15 people.
- Plan and prepare a monthly Director’s Dinner, for the purpose of donor cultivations and introduction to the residency program at Montalvo. Typically these dinners serve between 20-30 people.
- Commit to using sound ecological and fiscal principles to guide the sourcing and procuring of all produce, dairy poultry, fish and meats.
- Maintain and develop relationships with local farmers and producers.
Rewards of the Culinary Fellowship include:
- A six month Fellowship in the Lucas Artists Residency Program joining a host of international, multidisciplinary Fellows both emerging and established.
- A modest living stipend, health benefits, room and board.
- Creative freedom with all meals, considering only dietary restrictions of artists and visitors.
- The residency commons kitchen as a studio, and creative work space for the duration of Fellowship.
- Kitchen support when over 13 in attendance at a meal.
- Organizational support to develop and present public programs that highlight the culinary arts.
- The Culinary Fellow is welcome to host guests with the approval of the Residency Director.
Interested applicants please submit a letter of interest, your resume and three sample menus along with any additional, pertinent information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Lauren Walters, Residency Assistant and Artist Liaison, 15400 Montalvo Road, Saratoga, CA, 95070.. For more information, please contact Kelly Sicat, Director of Programs, at email@example.com or Lauren Walters at firstname.lastname@example.org or (408) 961-5813.